put them into a Dish with melted Butter beaten thick with a little water, then take a few spoonfuls of the Liquor of the stewed Oysters, and dissolve in it two Anchovies, then put it to the melted Butter, then take up your Lobsters, and crack the shells that they may be easie to open.
Roste Lobsters Old Elizabethan Recipe
The above Old recipe is taken from for Roste Lobsters is written in totally different way to today's recipe books.
- There were no lists of ingredients - these were included as part of the text
- Food and ingredient measurements were extremely basic - quantities were not often specified.
- Temperature control was difficult and therefore not specified.
- Cooking times were vague - and left to the cook to decide.
- It was assumed that the reader would already have some knowledge of cooking
Elizabethan Era - Free Educational Resource. Author Referencing Information
The contents of www.elizabethan-era.org.uk are subject to Copyright Laws - the name of the Website Author is Linda Alchin. The referencing protocol is suggested as follows:
e.g. Retrieved Aug 1 2016 from www.elizabethan-era.org.uk