when it is ready to boil, put in half a quarter of a Pint of Sack, and stir it till it run to a Curd, then strain the Whey from it as much as may be, then beat four Ounces of blanched Almonds with Rosewater, then put the Curd and beaten Almonds and half a pound of fine Sugar into a Mortar, and beat them well together, then put it into Glasses and eat it with bread, it will keep a Fortnight.
Cambridge Almond Butter Old Elizabethan Dessert Recipe
The above Old dessert recipe for Cambridge Almond Butter is written in totally different way to today's recipe books.
- There were no lists of ingredients - these were included as part of the text
- Food and ingredient measurements were extremely basic - quantities were not often specified.
- Temperature control was difficult and therefore not specified.
- Cooking times were vague - and left to the cook to decide.
- It was assumed that the reader would already have some knowledge of cooking
Elizabethan Era - Free Educational Resource. Author Referencing Information
The contents of www.elizabethan-era.org.uk are subject to Copyright Laws - the name of the Website Author is Linda Alchin. The referencing protocol is suggested as follows:
e.g. Retrieved Aug 1 2016 from www.elizabethan-era.org.uk