you may add Capers to it if you please, and you may do other Fish in this manner.
To boil Eels in Broth to serve with them
Flay and wash your Eels and cut them in pieces about a handful long, then put them into a pot with so much Water as will cover them, a little Pepper and Mace, sliced Onions, a little grated bread, and a little Yest, a good piece of sweet butter, some Parsley, Winter Savory and Thyme shred small; let them boil softly half an hour, and put in some Salt, with some Currans; when it is enough, put in Verjuice and more Butter, and so serve it; Garnish your Dish with Parsley, Limon and Barberries, put Sippets in your Dish.
Stewed Trout Old Elizabethan Recipe
The above Old recipe is taken from for Stewed Trout is written differently to today's recipe books.
- There were no lists of ingredients - these were included as part of the text
- Food and ingredient measurements were extremely basic - quantities were not often specified.
- Temperature control was difficult and therefore not specified.
- Cooking times were vague - and left to the cook to decide.
- It was assumed that the reader would already have some knowledge of cooking