make your Pie with Rye Flour, round and very high, then lay store of Butter in the bottom and Bay Leaves, then lay in your Venison with more Bay leaves and Butter; so close it, and make a Tunnel in the middle, and bake it as long as you do great Loaves, when it is baked, fill it up with melted Butter, and so keep it two or three months, serve it in with the Lid off, and Bay Leaves about the Dish; eat it with mustard and sugar.
Red Deer Pie Old Elizabethan Recipe
The above Old recipe is taken from for Red Deer Pie is written in totally different way to today's recipe books.
- There were no lists of ingredients - these were included as part of the text
- Food and ingredient measurements were extremely basic - quantities were not often specified.
- Temperature control was difficult and therefore not specified.
- Cooking times were vague - and left to the cook to decide.
- It was assumed that the reader would already have some knowledge of cooking
Elizabethan Era - Free Educational Resource. Author Referencing Information
The contents of www.elizabethan-era.org.uk are subject to Copyright Laws - the name of the Website Author is Linda Alchin. The referencing protocol is suggested as follows:
e.g. Retrieved Aug 1 2016 from www.elizabethan-era.org.uk