you may if you please put the juice of a Limon into it when it is beating, you may make some of it into Jumbolds, and tie them in knots and bake them upon Buttered Plates, and when they are baked, ice them over with Rosewater, Sugar, and the White of an Egg, and set them into the Oven again.Paste of Almonds Old Elizabethan Dessert Recipe
The above Old dessert recipe for Paste of Almonds is written in totally different way to today's recipe books.
- There were no lists of ingredients - these were included as part of the text
- Food and ingredient measurements were extremely basic - quantities were not often specified.
- Temperature control was difficult and therefore not specified.
- Cooking times were vague - and left to the cook to decide.
- It was assumed that the reader would already have some knowledge of cooking
Elizabethan Era - Free Educational Resource. Author Referencing Information
The contents of www.elizabethan-era.org.uk are subject to Copyright Laws - the name of the Website Author is Linda Alchin. The referencing protocol is suggested as follows:
e.g. Retrieved Aug 1 2016 from www.elizabethan-era.org.uk